Democrats! Bah, humbug. (was: The Last Laugh)

James Rogers jamesr at best.com
Sun Apr 20 23:07:57 PDT 2003

On 4/20/03 8:57 PM, "Jeff Bone" <jbone at deepfile.com> wrote:

> Well, that's a problem.  If the last presidential election proves
> anything, it proves that every single vote counts.  Sure, some votes in
> some places are more strategic than others;  but with things divided as
> closely as they are, it's much harder now to predict which votes are
> going to be strategic.

My vote wouldn't have counted for anything in the Federal election.  The
State one was interesting at that time though.  And things simply aren't
that close in most States.  The last election was an anomalous edge case
that happens only very rarely.

But again, I'm not sure it would have helped a whole lot no matter what
happened with that election, at least not from my perspective.  Elections
amount to a "Have you stopped beating your wife?" issue with a "Yes/No"
checkbox.  I'll pass.

> Yeah, it's tough to get away from that.  But cynicism is a lot of
> what's wrong with the current system --- it's a self-fulfilling
> attitude.

I'm cynical but I'm active.  I'm mostly just cynical about the dog-and-pony
show called "The Elections" that we put on every couple years.  It would be
much more effective, for example, for me to simply buy off politicians with
campaign contributions and more complex shenanigans.  Instead of protesting,
I should be working my ass off to make money to shuttle over to my local
corrupt official, pronto.  It may not be elegant or ideologically pure, but
it sure would be effective.

My point being that there are lots of things that you can do to influence
the government.  But when you get right down to it, voting is among the
least effective.  My non-vote trumps a hundred other real votes if I have
effective political access.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr at best.com