Democrats! Bah, humbug. (was: The Last Laugh)

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 21 03:18:25 PDT 2003

James Rogers:
>The problem, at least as I see it, with the Democrats are that their
>candidates are increasingly distasteful to a large segment of the
>population ..

The shift from the caucus to the primary
system has made this worse. The problem is
that the Democracts need to attract the votes
of independents and "soft" Democrats who
don't vote in the Democratic primaries. There
are a lot of people, who do NOT identify
themselves as Democrats, who are hoping that
the Democratic party fields a reasonable
candidate. Because they don't identify, they
don't vote in the primaries, and their hopes
have no influence. The Democrats then field
(another) poor candidate, who necessarily
panders to many of the traditional Democratic
special interests, and the "soft" Democrats
are left voting third party or not voting.

On the other hand, Jeff may be right that
there are now a lot of people who will vote
for the yellow dog. I'm not sure that people
realize how absolutely odd it is for Jeff
Bone to be rallying for the Democrats. Here
you have someone whose politics are
libertarian, who has hardly a left-wing
bone in his body, who wants to eliminate the
income tax, who believes in the market and is
very much sympathetic to business interests,
born and raised in Texas, whose social
affiliations and politics would lead most
people to think "Republican" (even though
young and hip), and he is screaming "Democrat"
at the top of his lungs. And I've never heard
him scream that before.

Similarly, I've always despised the Democrat
Party, and likely haven't voted for more than
ten Democrats my entire life. While it may
not come out here where so much dialogue is
with John Hall, I'm more sympathetic to the
war with Iraq and more hopeful that it will do
some good than most people I know. My voting
for a Democratic Presidential candidate is
very much like a vegetarian eating steak
tartare. Or a yellow dog.