Ringo vs. Spinrad, Commie Code, and Bug Hunting

johnhall johnhall at isomedia.com
Sun Apr 20 17:50:47 PDT 2003

> From: fork-bounces at xent.com [mailto:fork-bounces at xent.com] On Behalf
Of
> Russell Turpin

> Hey, I'm with you. Let's target the House of Saud
> in a bughunt, round up every Wahhabi propagandist
> on the Arabian peninsula, house them in Cuba, and
> confiscate the money they've been using to fund
> terrorism.
>
> Oh, but wait. They're our allies.

To the traditional foreign policy types in State, they are our allies.
State believes our most important national interest is in stability.
They also think Cold War allies should be forever.

It is the radical neo-cons that disagree, and think the Saudis are in
fact our enemies and that a little instability visited on our enemies is
a good thing.  Sure, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".  But when you
effectively use that to eliminate the prime enemy (in this case Russia)
it is time to review those alliances of convinence.

The strategic interests of the United States and Saudi Arabia are no
longer aligned.