Habeas corpus (was: The Last Laugh)

JS Kelly jskelly at jskelly.com
Sat Apr 19 17:09:59 PDT 2003

strange, i was under the impression that it was a Duty to support the
public schools.

but little matter. as to habeas corpus:

habeas corpus

\Ha"be*as corpus\ [L. you may have the body.] (Law) A writ having for its
object to bring a party before a court or judge; especially, one to
inquire into the cause of a person's imprisonment or detention by another,
with the view to protect the right to personal liberty; also, one to bring
a prisoner into court to testify in a pending trial. --Bouvier.

habeas corpus

n 1: a writ ordering a prisoner to be brought before a judge [syn: writ of
habeas corpus] 2: right to obtain a writ of habeas corpus as protection
against illegal imprisonment

IANAL so i just grabbed these from dictionary.com. if you would care for a
more specific citation/definition, then you're on your own -- but i'm sure
that the rest of us would be happy if you'd share the results of your
research.

as far as i am concerned, you may have the body -- you may keep the body
-- and for all i care, you may burn the body and dance upon its grave
singing, 'halleluja' for all i care -- if by 'the body' you mean *that*
'the body' which everyone keeps being so excited about. i am sure that
*that* 'the body' is pretty sick of everybody making such a big stink
about the whole thing. it has been quite a long time, you know.

as for other bodies, you might want to begin your search in the state of
denmark. or perhaps in germany. or right here in our own back yard.

when i pointed out that the US public schools teach very little about the
US constitution i meant to imply that it was a Bad Thing. are we
practicing feudalism, or are we practicing what we preach?

precedent is one part of the laws of war. it is not the only thing that is
involved.

under lincoln's administration, you could hardly say that we were not in a
state of war. right now, i do not think that you could say that we are
under threat of invasion (if we are, it begs the question -- who's posing
the threat? canada? mexico? abu dabi?). nor do i think that you could say
that we are in a state of rebellion. unless you're of the opinion that the
american revolution wasn't settled satisfactorily, or that the civil war
didn't pan out the way you would have liked it to.

public safety is indeed at risk -- always has been and always will be.
and so we are lucky to have public servants like police officers and fire
fighters and other Night Watch persons -- as well as teachers, librarians
and postal workers -- who feel strongly enough about the public good to
dedicate their lives to it.

smell ya later, russ -- i have to go do some real work for a change.

best regards,
-jsk