The Last Laugh

JS Kelly jskelly at jskelly.com
Sat Apr 19 12:00:37 PDT 2003

eleanor roosevelt, who i would LIKE to believe is still with us -- at
least in SPIRIT -- said a lot of things and had a weekly newspaper column
which was really really good and also quite popular.

the "they" that the MAJORITY of 'americans' (by which i presume you mean
'citizens of these united states') are not clued in to is their rights
under the law (any old law -- ours, int'l, other). the public schools
teach very little about the constitution, the preamble, the declaration
and other important documents which define what this country is supposed
to be about. the only way the 'majority' will be able to exercise their
rights is if they go out and vote. it's jim crow all over again (with
blurry color lines). "the" extreme right wing/christian coalition/etc etc
(the "they" of today) are very successful in getting out the vote in their
local districts. and even "they" know that they are in a minority. even in
those districts where they 'win' or at least 'swing' the votes. so all the
"majority" have to do is... er, well -- basically, get out the vote.
volunteer to be election whatsitcalled -- you know, the people who watch
the voting booth and all that. and of course, vote. physically -- not by
absentee ballot. and help others in their circle of ummm, wherever they
physically happen to be registered to vote -- to do the same. pointing
out, of course, that your employer may NOT keep you from going to the
polls. and this, no matter what the "others" in their immediate vicinity
look like or act like. coz they have a right to have opinions too. no
matter their color, dress, mode of speech or etc. and all that. ad
infinitum. and so on and so forth. from this day forward -- yadda yadda.

> 1. suspend habeus corpus and lock up people in secret.

can't suspend habeus corpus -- it isn't an option. at least, not as far as
i remember my so-called rights ;) but i do still remember where the magna
charta was signed -- at the bottom.

> 2. Control the media

has never been a problem in the history of mankind (by which i mean the
earthling human race -- not "men" in particular)

> 3. Control the voting apparatus

luckily, we have write-in options. you can cross off what you don't like
and write something in. or you can even run. this (the writing in part,
not the running part) is actually what i plan to do in the next
presidential elections, if there isn't an option that i am happy with. i
am still trying to come up with suitable write-in "candidates" just in
case. i remember in the old-old-olden days people often wrote in "mickey
mouse" or something along those lines. for mine own part, i'm still
looking around in the hopes of finding some real flesh-and-blood humans to
write in come election 2004. coz it's hard to break the democ/repub
stranglehold on the (so-called) multiparty system... anyway. it's just a
germ of an idea at this point... but i think it shows promise.

> Then it doesn't matter if the entire country votes for your
> opposition because nobody will ever know.

you can't lock up that many people without everybody not knowing. the
nazis tried it and... everyone knew it in the end. and while it was
happening, too. and etc. we all know that all the trashy plastic
mcdonald's toys are now made in china, and we also know how bad the
working conditions are there. and we all know -- all that other history
stuff, and what led to what and who led to whom and why there are five w's
and one H (by which i mean who what why where when and how) and etc etc.
so we can all look up any of the things that we're still fuzzy on in the
public library or on the internet.

but democracy (imho) is *still* much better than autocracy, monarchy,
anarchy and all the rest of them archies. so vote and encourage others to
vote. it's what all the wars keep being fought for: revolutionary war,
civil war, cold war, hot spots (and wars) like viet nam and iraq and so on
and so forth. war of words or war of worlds -- i'll take the alphabet
every time. there's another cliche to go with that one -- it's -- um -- o
ya, the pen is mightier than the sword.

> Researchers are mindful that creating too rapid a flicker could
> trigger seizures in some people. They also discovered that using the
> flicker to write words across the image, such as "Copy," are not
> disruptive enough.

hey! that sounds like the 'blipverts' in that old tv show -- remember? max
headroom? and the fat guy who watches too much tv explodes? maybe it's max
headroom we should write-in as president -- after all, as a 'talking head'
(literally) he'd be hard to assassinate (iirc, they tried that in the tv
show and failed).

in any case, as for the sneaky intellectual property thieves stealing the
mpaa (dvdcca etc etc ad nauseum)'s movie endings & plots and subplots and
so on -- what will they think of next? perhaps they will accuse moviegoers
of actually posessing brains or even (heaven forbid -- dare i to suggest
it?)  USING THEM.

as we all know, that would be a very Bad Thing indeed. i do recall a very
bad precedent from fiction, specifically from 'the hitchhiker's guide to
the galaxy.' and i think that we all know how *that* one turned out:  the
mice wanted arthur's brain because they ran out of questions which fit the
"42" answer. just between those of us who are still following this thread
-- mayhaps we should switch to "24" instead of "42"  to buy ourselves some
time? there's still a lot of rich symbolism in the number "24" and it will
take the talk show hosts a long time to exhaust themselves & their
audiences switching from 42 to 24.

just a thought. i know that those aren't protected in britain or canada,
etc -- but i am a citizen of the US so i guess i'll take the 1st amendment
as well as the alphabet (if that's OK with everyone here). and i'm going
to keep an eye on my towels as well.

best regards,
-jsk