FW: DMCA used to shut down campus ID security talk (fwd from bear@sonic.net)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Apr 17 12:48:01 PDT 2003

----- Forwarded message from bear <bear at sonic.net> -----

From: bear <bear at sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:24:51 -0700 (PDT)
To: Don Davis <don at mit.edu>
Cc: cryptography at metzdowd.com
Subject: Re: FW: DMCA used to shut down campus ID security talk

If you're as fed up about the DMCA et al as I am, please
do what I do.

Write a letter to your congresspeople asking for their
help in stopping copyright abuse.  It helps if you have
articles to cite; it helps if you have credentials; it
helps if you make a living doing security or working with
the ever-more-endangered public domain or fair uses of
copyrighted material.  It especially helps if you have
fundamental research you can't do or civil rights you
cannot exercise as a result of copyright abuse.

Today, two cases of copryight-abusing laws with darkly
ridiculous consequences were posted on this list.  I took
the opportunity to point out the articles to my senator,
along with a plea to help stop the madness of copyright
abuse.  I'm asking you to do the same, or similar.

If a lot of people write letters, they actually do notice.

But it has to start with a surge in the number of letters