Is there a lyrics/tune search engine?

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:25:49 PDT 2003

As good as Google is, I find it difficult
to search for songs. There are several
problems. (1) Often the words in a memorable
song aren't very distinctive. (2) Usually
I don't remember more than a few of them.
(3) Sometimes I remember them wrong, or the
author misspelled them in the lyrics. (4) Who
can understand the lyrics, anyway? Especially
to songs like "Brown sugar." (5) How do you
search for a fragment of a melody? (6) How do
you refine your search? So .. is this an
opportunity in the search space, to make a
search engine just for music? Or is this
something only old fogies want, since the
young and hip remember these kind of things?
"Oh, yeah, that was Sylvester-somebody and
the chick with the flat hair."

Anyway, if anyone wants to pay me money, I
think it would be a fun project. ;-)

And now, from thirty years ago ..

"Yeah, come on all of you, big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
He's got himself in a terrible jam
Way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.

"And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

"Well, come on generals, let's move fast;
Your big chance has come at last.
Gotta go out and get those reds -
The only good commie is the one who's dead
And you know that peace can only be won
When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.

"And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

"Huh!

"Well, come on Wall Street, don't move slow,
Why man, this is war au-go-go.
There's plenty good money to be made
By supplying the Army with the tools of the trade,
Just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb,
They drop it on the Viet Cong.

"And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam.
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

"Well, come on mothers throughout the land,
Pack your boys off to Vietnam.
Come on fathers, don't hesitate,
Send 'em off before it's too late.
Be the first one on your block