[CORK] There's [no?] hope for the kids. And music ..

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Wed Apr 16 16:14:48 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003, at 15:03 US/Central, Russell Turpin wrote:

> It's funny how complaints about teenagers repeat
> from generation to generation.

NB, to be clear:  *I'm* not complaining about teenagers --- I'm (a)
PRAISING the current crop, and (b) slamming the previous crop, who were
never in fact teenagers but boring risk-averse Stepford mid-lifers even
when they were, age-wise, "teenagers."

> I believe and hope that
> teenagers today lack a general stressor on the
> order of Vietnam bingo. But it generated a lot of
> good songs. ;-)

Vietnam bingo.  The Bomb...  and now:  terrorism, newer and more random
and unpreventable nuclear threats, AIDS and similar things, economic
disaster and disillusionment, and being hated by 4 out of 5 people on
the planet because of the actions of the unelected "leader" of the land
mass you happen to have been born on.  Don't worry, Russell --- our
parents' generation is trying its best to fuck up the current crop of
kids.  They'll have plenty of stressors as it is, and things're just
going to get uglier.

The true culture war, to the extent that there is one, is generational
/ ideological, not some bullshit "liberal / conservative" thing.  And
it is going to be capital-U UGH-ly.  Me?  I'll take the .5ers.  All of
'em:  Boomers .5, X.5, Y.5, etc.  The cusp kids of every generation.

But the music will be good!

jb