[CORK] There's Hope For The Kids

Adam L. Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Wed Apr 16 14:53:03 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Let's face it, here in this country we took delivery of a whole batch
> of defective kids from about the mid 70s until sometime in the 80s.  I
> mean, it was like "The Stepford Kids" or something.

The children of the boomers are all preaty messed up. The current teens are
kids of those kids.

Why when I was a kid... *laughs*

The net has changed everything. Religeon is dead, long live google.

Lack of borders, prejudice, and all the hangups our parents drilled into our
heads with fear instead of info is a good thing.

While the article preaty much covers all the good, there is some bad thrown
in they dont mention.

They know far less about far more, thanks to the net. While I grew up using
the library as my long term memory, now we have google. All of their
knowledge, what they can remember through all the pot that they ARE smoking,
is very shallow. More information, less knowledge.

Grammer is dead. Nuf said. speling 2. Monogomy R.I.P. Drugs R OK. Stealing
is A-OK too as long as it's from someone with more money.

Ethics have been replaced with will I get caught, or by consulting a HOWTO:
Not getting caught. A long way from the pre-boomers version which was be
good or you'll rot in hell for all eternity.

The idea that "everything will be better when we grow up" is definately
gone. Middle class kids grow up to be middle class people with the same
crappy 9-5 as their parents. Everyone else is just as fscked up as you are
and the grass is only greener in the lab. That kid in the Evil Empire (axis
of evil, whatever) is JUST LIKE YOU ... oh and they sent their resume to the
same places you did. So carpe diem, because there is no reason not to.

Anyone with a conservation midset like someone that lived through the
depression would probably have alot more to say about this generation then I
could.

And yes, Avril is spiffy as are others that arent just fronting music writen
by 40 year old WASP pedophiles (*cough* britney). Oddly Avril reminds me of
many of my past/present close non-GF female friends, and most of my HS
geek/freak friends. Come to think of it the geek/freak of the late 80's is
darn close to a current slacker/cool kid... we just didnt have IM. Skaters
are still skaters tho :)

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/