[STORK] A gadget wish

Steve Dossick sdossick at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 11:01:35 PDT 2003

This is one of those ideas that lots of people have, yet for some reason no
one is productizing.  My guess is they get scared of dealing with Clear
Channel and Infinity -- afraid of the large teams of lawyers that will come
along and squash them.  Also, how much would you pay for such a device?
Probably the sweet spot for a car stereo device like this is $199 or $249,
which doesn't leave a lot of margin.

Here are a couple links to folks thinking along the same lines:

http://www.gotuit.com/audio/ is claiming to be making Personal Audio
Recorders (PARs) to time shift radio in your car.  They've had no press
releases for a year and a half though.

http://gary.burd.info/content/articles/fmcapture.html details how this guy
set up his desktop linux machine to capture FM radio and store it as MP3s.
You could do something similar, even automate the burning of the mp3s to
CD's to play on a car mp3/cd player.

-s