[STORK] A gadget wish

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Wed Apr 16 12:29:27 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003, at 11:12 US/Central, Joseph S. Barrera III
wrote:

> I know that there are things to capture wired streams and record them
> --
> which for me is better than capturing commercial radio. There's a list
> here:
>
> http://radio.about.com/cs/recordingstreams/
>
> It's not everything, but it's a start. In fact now that I have an mp3
> player
> in my Honda, I may (re)investigate some of these tools.

So I realized I didn't adequately define the problem domain.
Observations:  (1)  I spent the last few years listening to canned
stuff I'd mostly picked up through the early 90s.  The wasteland of
commercial music in the late 90s reinforced this tendency.  Problem is,
if you do this you end up missing The New Good Stuff.  (2)  If you
spend any time at all in the car or otherwise commuting from place to
place, that's a perfect time to sample current music to uncover The New
Good Stuff.  (3)  Wired doesn't work in that mobile context.  (4)
Pervasive, high-bandwidth WiFi isn't a generally feasible solution at
present for "broadcast-like" music on-the-go.  (5)  Radio *is* a
currently-viable solution for music on-the-go.  .:  Listen to music,
find The New Good Stuff. ;-) :-)

I was really surprised by how much New Good Stuff there is a few months
back when my MP3 player broke and I was forced to revert to radio...
had I continued in my insular little world of self-programmed stuff, I
would never have realized that there's a kind of sea-change in progress.

jb