MATH: (i.e. no longer funny) (was Re: [SPORK, FUNNY] Donald Rumsfeld... the poet?)

James Rogers jamesr at best.com
Mon Apr 14 22:59:11 PDT 2003

Howdy,

Disclaimer:  I'm not a number theory guy.

My analysis after some consideration is that the set of real numbers with a
finite Kolmogorov Complexity is uncountable, since the transcendentals seem
to be uncountable yet do have a finite Kolmogorov Complexity (e.g. "e" and
"pi").  This alone pretty much seems to settle it.

The analysis is slippery though, mostly because of the indirection
surrounding the KC.  It took me a second to wrap my head around it.

To address another issue from below (re: limits and finite descriptions),
one of the primary differences between Shannon's and Kolmogorov's
information theory is that Kolmogorov views transcendentals and similar as
fundamentally finite beasties while Shannon generally does not. The
importance of this isn't immediately obvious for lots of things, but it is a
critical difference in certain areas of computational theory.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr at best.com

On 4/14/03 4:57 PM, "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com> forwarded: