NYTimes.com Article: In Searching the Web, Google Finds Riches

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Mon Apr 14 10:53:59 PDT 2003

On Monday, Apr 14, 2003, at 09:05 US/Central, Russell Turpin wrote:

> I'm not sure people realize why Google is so
> neat. Google succeeded because it killed
> search spam.

On a slightly more abstract level, one of the other really neat things
about Google is that it killed a bunch of cognitive spam that had
accreted around other "search engines."  I.e., the whole "portal"
notion that all the other engines scrambled to achieve during the
bubble basically adds up to noise and hinders the user experience if
your primary purpose is finding stuff on the Web.  If I'm looking for
the latest papers on parametric complexity, I don't need to see how my
stocks are doing, find out about the latest super-mini X10 camera, see
the sports scores, read my horoscope, etc.  In fact, presenting me with
all of that stuff is likely slow me down at best, at worst to
completely distract me.

Google has held hard-and-fast to this notion that they're going to be
the best at search and all directly-related search things, and that's
all they're going to do.  Their triumph isn't just a technical one,
it's an astoundingly impressive example of product management.  What
they've done in maintaining this singular focus at all levels of their
offering is (from a business / marketing / operational perspective)
very, very, very difficult.  And IMHO it's paid off wonderfully for
them.

jb