[SPORK] Syria: the Cure for Bellis Interruptus?

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Sun Apr 13 14:12:52 PDT 2003

Jeff Bone said:
> Or maybe that should be Premature Victory.  Or, All Dressed Up And
> Nowhere To Go Kick Ass:
>
> 	http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2943871.stm

No question whatsoever.  Some depressing reading, courtesy of
http://162.42.211.226/ ...

http://162.42.211.226/article1621.htm : Feb 23rd: Richard Perle 'indicated
that after overthrowing Iraqi President Saddam Hussein Washington might
set its sights on Syria's Bashar al-Assad.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/24/international/middleeast/24CND-ISRA.html
Feb 24th: 'Israel regards Iran and Syria as greater threats, and it is
hoping that once Mr. Hussein is dispensed with, the dominoes will start to
tumble.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/04/08/wsyria08.xml/
8th Apr: 'Syria now top US target for 'regime change''.

And finally, my favourite, from way back on Feb 16th: 'U.S. official to
Israel: We'll deal with Syria, Iran after Iraq war: U.S. Undersecretary of
State John Bolton said in meetings with Israeli officials on Monday that
he has no doubt America will attack Iraq, and that it will be necessary to
deal with threats from Syria, Iran and North Korea afterwards.'   That's
from Ha'aretz, now at http://162.42.211.226/article1467.htm  .

  Note: This article below appeared on an Israeli
  newspapers web site ( Haaretz: )at this location
  http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/263923.html I duplicated the
  article content and published it as it appears below. The top of the
  Haaretz page originally carried the same headline. This appeared to
  me to be a story worthy of attention and could even be described as
  a exclusive scoop for Haaretz..

  If you visit that page now you will see that the "scoop" lead story
  has been replaced with an article titled "EU warns Iraq it faces a
  'last chance' to disarm peacefully" The original headline was gone
  and the story buried deep below the new article. Scroll down the
  page http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/263923.html  and see
  the original article buried out of sight. What really annoys me about
  this story is that Haaretz will be successful. This story will never
  appear in the main stream media.

  Maybe it's me? Maybe I am crazy to think it important when the
  U.S. Undersecretary of State says that he has no doubt America will
  attack Iraq.

  Maybe I am crazy to think it important when this same person implies
  that when the worlds only super power has destroyed a defenseless
  country against the wishes of the majority of the worlds population
  it will then "deal" with Syria, Iran and North Korea.

  Is this a dream.....? Why do I feel like our country is being run by
  New Jersey mafia boss Tony Soprano? and why would Haaretz want to bury
  a huge story below a nondescript newswire article...? I think I know
  why...... Do You?

  U.S. official to Israel: We'll deal with Syria, Iran after Iraq war

  U.S. Undersecretary of State John Bolton said in meetings with Israeli
  officials on Monday that he has no doubt America will attack Iraq,
  and that it will be necessary to deal with threats from Syria, Iran
  and North Korea afterwards.

  Bolton, who is undersecretary for arms control and international
  security, is in Israel for meetings about preventing the spread of
  weapons of mass destruction.

  In a meeting with Bolton on Monday, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said
  that Israel is concerned about the security threat posed by Iran. It's
  important to deal with Iran even while American attention is turned
  toward Iraq, Sharon said.

  Bolton also met with Foreign Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Housing
  and Construction Minister Natan Sharansky.

  EU draft statement calls force a last resort A draft statement prepared
  for a European Union summit on Monday said that UN weapons inspections
  cannot continue indefinitely in Iraq without cooperation, but that
  force should only be used as a last resort.

  Speaking at a news conference after addressing the summit, United
  Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan urged Baghdad to choose compliance
  with disarmament over confrontation with the international community,
  and said that any use of force without a UN mandate would undermine
  the legitimacy of the Security Council and diminish support for
  military action.

  In addition, Annan said that Western nations should avoid turning on
  each other over Iraq. At the summit, France insisted that it would try
  to block any imminent U.S. attack on Baghdad while Britain called for
  a swift deadline for action.

  French President Jacques Chirac said France would oppose any effort to
  draft a new UN resolution authorizing war at this time. France, Germany
  and others say Iraq can be disarmed peacefully and must be given time.

  British Prime Minister Tony Blair said time was running out and the EU
  must set limits on how much longer it will allow Iraq to remain defiant.

  Spain and Italy have also expressed support for the United States,
  which advocates imminent military measures.

  The United Nations "set out very clearly that this was the final
  opportunity for Iraq to comply," British Foreign Secretary Jack
  Straw said earlier. "That involves hard decisions for everyone across
  Europe. It is only by fighting tyranny that we are able to enjoy the
  freedoms that we do."

  But the EU negotiations are not just about whether military action is
  a necessary step to take against Iraq.

  "We all know that this is about the matter of Iraq," German Foreign
  Minister Joschka Fischer said. "But it's also about the matter of
  Europe."

  Source: http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/263923.html