Autocad 2004

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Sun Apr 13 08:26:23 PDT 2003

"Adam L. Beberg" wrote:
> Well, all software should work that way, isn't that obvious?

Nope. You haven't tried it have you, Adam?

It flash installs transparent to the OS--different.

Tricking the client into thinking the application is
fully installed--different.

Tracking individual features for betaware feedback--different.

Being able to up to the minute audit and track application
usage--different.

These are differences that really matter to software vendors.

There is a lightweight DRM inside the tool.  Unlike other
app streaming companies, you can take the apps offline and
still enforce the license policy, works
across lower bandwidth connections.   Also, you can store the
local app cache encrypted on disk.   In fact, during the time
we had Autocad 2002 up on the site (before the Autocad 2004
launch), our Autodesk contact said that during the time
they were using our stuff (which doesn't prevent, just
makes it much, much harder to pirate) they had no known
incidences of software piracy compared to 20 or so in the
same time period using other trialware.

> All the MMORPG I've played have worked that way for 5+ years. Stuff I write
> that can do it that way has done it for years to. _Any_ web application is
> that almost by definition, HTML, Javascript, Java, etc. Yahoo is streaming
> games that way. So preaty much everything I encounter on a daily basis does
> it.

It's different than NFS--guarantee. If any of you guys know
the Yahoo! games people, I'd love to get in contact with them.
We've published all sorts of stuff including WarcraftIII,
Alien v. Predator, Quake III, Unreal, and half a dozen
others.

> Glad to see you're one cashing in on it tho, kudos :)
>
> What is the piece you do anyway? Hosting, or some sort of DRM?

Thanks!  For Autodesk, we sell it as a service which
includes publishing and running the service.  There's a 1Meg
component that handles all the streaming, licensing on the
client end that gets Web installed.  We also do enterprise
delivery with the same software and hands on software training
for Web conferencing.

Even better, Autodesk found that their for people that
bought software sooner, bought more software components than
they would have, and had a drastically reduced time to evaluation
from 30 minutes to 3 hours to launching the tool under 5 minutes,
they had a 480% ROI in terms of software licenses sold.

That's different--a new cutting edge technology that has
a real, independently verified, Gartner approved, case-study
perfect ROI story.   It took a while to capture those numbers and
launch the 2004 version, but now that it's launched, well, the
network's the limit.

Greg