Sony tries to TM 'Shock and Awe' -- along with at least 14 other folks.

bitbitch at magnesium.net bitbitch at magnesium.net
Sat Apr 12 22:52:03 PDT 2003

[I have no idea historically speaking, but Sony is attempting to try by
registering [1] with the USPTO for a Trademark in the slogan "Shock and
Awe." They plan to use it in a future wargame, according to the
Guardian. [2] Apparently they're not the only ones trying to make a fast
buck on the TM game -- Folks have also gone on to register 'Osama your
momma!' and '9-11-01: Never Forget' for their own personal uses. Osama
your momma! probably doesn't hit the generic Wall of Denial, but I'm
finding it hard to parse how 'Shock and Awe', a term that has already
been extended by spammers [3], synthesizers [4], and is a registered
domain name [5], will actually pass TM muster. If Sony wins, I'm sure
we'll see a WIPO TM dispute in the fore... ]

[1]http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=l54ce5.3.12
[2] http://media.guardian.co.uk/marketingandpr/story/0,7494,933239,00.html
[3] http://www.waxy.org/archive/2003/03/21/shock_an.shtml
[4] http://www.synthesizers.com/q200.html
[5] http://www.shockandawe.com/

Amusing: When I did a search for Shock and Awe @ the USPTO, it came
back with 15 record searches -- most trying to register S&A as a TM for
T-shirts or the like, and with a variety of incarnations. Have a gander:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=l54ce5.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=Shock+and+Awe+&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=ADJ&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

PS:  Everyone must use NNTP//RSS. Its fantastic.  It posts all these
lovely bits I can collect to my blog and I don't have to learn perl
for it ;-)  (Sorry Morbus!)

 bitbitch                          mailto:bitbitch at magnesium.net

"When I saw God he was a vending machine ..."