MS to ship free IM client SDKs

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Sat Apr 12 10:09:13 PDT 2003

It's entirely not useful by itself, but
it's really, really rewarding when you can
suck it into a BEA or Microsoft dev environment
and automtically just have it work for building
around the interfaces.  Sooner or later you get
tired of doing stuff by hand.

The theory is that eventually, all programmatic
access can be automated to Web sites instead of
picking apart the CGI interfaces or Web page
POSTs.  What the killer app for that hasn't
really been agreed upon yet.  Most likely it will
be some Fedex or JD Edwards logistics and supply
chain app.  The other most commonly cited is
content syndication, aggregation or distribution.

Me?  I think that there's a lot of desktop context
that's missing from most network apps we use
would be extremely enhanced if you could carefully
share that context with select others without trust
boundaries getting in the way.   I'm a big fan of
desktop Web services which is mostly tying presence
and connectivity state to individual apps and documents
and wrapping access controls using buddy lists.

Greg