Congressman defends bill to require CDMA in Iraq

Michael Shields shields at msrl.com
Thu Apr 10 06:11:05 PDT 2003

In article <004d01c2fef0$04ad0810$f200000a at avalon>,
"James Rogers" <jamesr at best.com> wrote:
> Speaking of GSM itself, I think the "standardization" is oversold, never
> mind that Europe is slowly making the move to CDMA technologies.

It's not clear to me that the CDMA->CDMA2000 transition would really
be much less expensive than the GSM->CDMA2000 or GSM->W-CDMA
transitions.

> I've owned
> GSM phones for many years.  The only thing nice about them was the removable
> GSM chip, but just about everything else about them pretty much sucked.

Well, this is a matter of opinion.  I am extremely unimpressed with
current CDMA phones, especially since Motorola's new models are
actually larger and heavier than the previous generation (V8160).
My new Ericsson T600 (800/1800/1900 GSM) is far superior.

> no longer have a GSM phone because I can still roam the bloody continent and
> I get better service to boot using other protocols.  Quite frankly, I don't
> think the world at large has a huge need for global telecom standardization;
> telecom only really needs to be standardized regionally.

I don't agree with you, but for the sake of argument let's say
regional standardization is enough.  Iraq is about the size of
California, and GSM is used by all of its neighbors.  Do you think
that is a large enough region?
--
Shields.