Before GAB redefines "Shock and Awe" let's set the recordstraight was Re: Newspeak

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Wed Apr 9 17:17:36 PDT 2003

Silly, Jeff.  8-) You need to reread the original
brief on shock and awe.  [1].   "Surgical strike"
is a completely different military doctrine, so
I guess that the acupuncture was a really
bad analogy.  I was trying to make the point that
the concept as originally conceived was more
elegant in that it used "only just enough force
for what was needed to accomplish the desired output."

That was part of the criticism of the battle plan was that
some critics thought we used too little.   More precise
would have been the oft used "decapitation strikes."  Sun
Tzu was famous for taking the heads off of the absolute
minimum number of concubines to make examples of them.
Perhaps that's what the military really meant by shock and
awe instead of what's commonly been equated to "big fireworks."

Anyone can take down a building, it takes something
much more to change a culture.  I think that the changes
in US culture from 9/11 are far more subtle than the ones in
Iraqi culture from the past 21 days.

Greg

[1] http://www.kimsoft.com/polwar.htm