Newspeak

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Wed Apr 9 16:46:22 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Apr 9, 2003, at 15:31 US/Central, Gregory Alan Bolcer
wrote:

>  I think it all goes back to the
> efficiency versus effectiveness arguement.
> Terror is effective, shock & awe is efficient.

Don't you have that backwards?  I'm not sure how you could consider
dumping $1B worth of high-tech ordinance on somebody "efficient" by any
definition, regardless of effect, particularly when compared to a small
number of guys armed only with box cutters taking down America for most
of a week.  I'm sorry, but dropping the Twin Towers was "shocking" and
"awesome."  Taking out a few leadership targets with some high-tech
destructo-gadgetry amidst tank-plinking as usual, not so much.
(OB_FACT:  less than 7% of the precision-guided bombs dropped so far
has been dropped on leadership targets;  the bulk has been taking out
Iraqi armor and infantry divisions.  Source:  Rush Limbaugh, Monday
4/7.  Know thy enemy.)

But then, I'm also very confused about the tendency to refer to those
guys with box cutters and suicide bombers as "cowards" while we refer
to the guys that load launch tubes on boats 200m out at sea or drop
bombs from above-AA altitudes "courageous."

Newspeak:  it's opposite day.  Problem:  it obscures understanding of
the situation --- but then, that's by design.

jb