Fwd: Majority Leader Tom Delay Supports the FairTax!

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Wed Apr 9 10:45:30 PDT 2003

Now, I think that Tom DeLay is a nasty, nasty piece of work, but...
this is a good thing.  Despite the fact that we demonstrated that
FairTax was not in fact a "fair tax" back here on this list over a year
ago, it's still much better than the unconstitutional and wildly
inefficient system that we have now.  It's *fairer* than what we've got
now --- i.e., it impacts your ability to accumulate wealth at a rate
more closely proportional to increases in income.  It "distorts" the
economy less;  it allows a more direct correlation between income and
utility, where the current system is punitive on middle and
upper-middle income earners --- the largest "wealth-creating"
constituency in this country.   Yet it retains some of the precious
"progressiveness" of the current system.  Summary in case you aren't
aware of this system:

*  It eliminates all federal income and withholding taxes permanently
*  It institutes a federal sales tax at about a 23% rate
*  It provides rebates on basic necessity spending up to the poverty
level
*  It is *VOLUNTARY.* You decide when you buy, you decide when you're
taxed
*  It is sufficient for providing all federal revenue needs, including
Social Security

Thumbnail sketch:

	http://www.fairtaxvolunteer.org/smart/sketch.html

The bill itself: