[SPORK] Fahrenheit 911.

Tom tomwhore at slack.net
Tue Apr 8 17:55:57 PDT 2003

Who should be reading FORK?
http://www.indiewire.com/biz/biz_030331moore.html

Stagehands may get the chance to boo Michael Moore a second time at Oscar
2005. Moore has found a surprising production company, Mel Gibson's Icon
Productions to back his next film "Fahrenheit 911." The new documentary
will be no less controversial than the Oscar-winning "Bowling for
Columbine."

"The primary thrust of the film is what happened to the country since
Sept. 11 and how the Bush administration used this tragic event to push
its agenda," commented Moore in an interview with Variety. "It certainly
does deal with the Bush and bin Laden ties. It asks a number of questions
that I don't have the answers to yet, but which I intend to find out."

The potential furor around the new film and the tumult surrounding Moore's
Oscar night speech did nothing to deter bidders for "Fahrenheit 911."
Variety called the sale, which ended with Icon's bid of more than $10
million up front and potential back end, a "fevered auction." Gibson, a
staunch Republican, put politics aside, apparently swayed more by "Bowling
for Columbine's" $40 million worldwide gross than its left-leaning bent.

Moore began researching "Fahrenheit 911" more than a year ago and intends
to complete it in time for submission to Cannes 2004 and a theatrical
release prior to the presidential election next November.

The Bush - bin Laden ties that Moore will explore include George Bush
Sr.'s business dealings with Mohammed bin Laden, the Saudi construction
magnate who left $300 million to his son, Osama and the connection between
the Bush Sr. led CIA and the forces in Afghanistan that fought the Soviet
Union in the late 70s and early 80s.

In his Variety interview, Moore attributed the "Fahrenheit" deal and
increased sales of his book "Stupid White Men" since his Oscar speech to
public support for his politics. "It's because the majority of Americans
agree with me, see the economy in the toilet, and didn't vote for George
W. People are now realizing that you can question your government while
still caring about the soldiers."