[NYTimes] Live from Mars, it's a wireless box.

Steve Dossick sdossick at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 22:50:50 PST 2003

> From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn at rbii.com>
>
> How's business for these things? Seems like there is a clearly emerging market
> for such devices in the home. The ideal would be to have one box be the
> PVR/File Server/Firewall/Access Point for the home... kind of what I'm
> planning to build in my spare (hah!) time.

Business is pretty good.  There's lots of amazing things you could do with a
cheap wireless networked cpu in your house (with some decent local
storage)...all the way from home automation to personalized browsing
(automated culling of RSS feeds into a personalized electronic newspaper),
media handling (PVR stuff, audio stuff, digital picture stuff) etc etc.

The real key is to keep it simple enough that someone like my father can use
it right out of the box.  It also needs to stay cheap enough that folks will
buy it without thinking too hard about it.

The future's already here, it's just too expensive right now ;)

-s