The Philosopher of Islamic Terror

Dave Long dl at silcom.com
Thu Apr 3 10:59:28 PST 2003

> Can our "free society" elect leaders or find exemplars who can lead from
> the front by example?   Who can make the case for secular humanism,
> religious tolerance, and the separation of church and state?

If one makes the case for religious tolerance,
the others might follow: secular humanism, due
to the fact that tolerating the irreligious is
just a degenerate case of religious tolerance;
and separation of church and state, because it
otherwise becomes difficult to keep one single
state over many religions. [0]

Unfortunately, in European history at least, it
has not been so much a matter of making the case
as it has been Proof By Exhaustion: protestants
and catholics fought for ~30 years to wipe each
other out ("one less man, one less vote"?), and
only after they failed at that were they forced
to try the alternative of Brotherly Love. [1]

Maybe I shouldn't ramble on about such moldies.
The notion of a Westphalian Peace (just because
you know you are on the side of the angels isn't
sufficient reason to start a war) is pretty much
now in the dustbin of history. [2]

-Dave

:: :: ::

[0] What if the state were pantheistic, and had
some sort of proportional representation?  That
only works up until the point where monotheists
complain about all the other state religions.

[1] Perhaps it was that Acting Like Christians
Toward One Another had not been tried and found
wanting, but found difficult, and left untried?

[2] Not that it hasn't been for some while.
How much of the XXth century can be explained
as people who knew better how to live (due to
Holiness, Herrenmoral, or Hegel and History)
helping out those not so enlightened?

The Bolshies were among the enthusiastic egg
breakers, maybe due to overconfidence in the
imminence of the omelet:

Kissinger, _Diplomacy_
> [Early Bolsheviks] never dealt with the question of how to conduct
> foreign policy among sovereign states.  They were certain that
> world revolution would follow their victory in Russia in a few
> months' time; extreme pessimists thought it might take as long
> as a few years.  Leon Trotsky, the first Soviet Foreign Minister,
> viewed his task as little more than that of a clerk who, in order
> to discredit the capitalists, would make public the various secret
> treaties by which they had proposed to divide the spoils of war
> amongst themselves.  He defined his role as being to "issue a few
> revolutionary proclamations to the peoples of the world and then
> shut up shop".

:: :: ::

Random comment: If Qutb's readers are searching
for a creed that will order the ins and outs of
everyday secular life, then it ought to be much
easier to convert them to consumerism than it
was to convert the christians.