[SPORK] Iraq War Quiz

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Thu Apr 3 08:05:02 PST 2003

[nb - this was sent before the outage, apologies if it's a bit stale]

Think you know enough about Iraq / our administration to have an
informed opinion?  Take this quiz to either confirm your wisdom or open
your eyes.  From:

	 http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=38&ItemID=3324

----

  Iraq War Quiz

1. The anti-war movement supports our troops by urging that they be
brought home immediately so they neither kill nor get killed in a
unjust war. How has the Bush administration shown its support for our
troops?

a. The Republican-controlled House Budget Committee voted to cut $25
billion in veterans benefits over the next 10 years.

b. The Bush administration proposed cutting $172 million from impact
aid programs which provide school funding for children of military
personnel.

c. The administration ordered the Dept. of Veterans Affairs to stop
publicizing health benefits available to veterans.

d. All of the above.

--

2. The anti-war movement believes that patriotism means urging our
country to do what is right. How do Bush administration officials

a. Patriotism means emulating Dick Cheney, who serves as Vice-President
while receiving $100,000-$1,000,000 a year from Halliburton, the
multi-billion dollar company which is already lining up for major
contracts in post-war Iraq.

b. Patriotism means emulating Richard Perle, the warhawk who serves as
head of the Defense Intelligence Board while at the same time meeting
with Saudi arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi on behalf of Trireme, a company
of which he is a managing partner, involved in security and military
technologies, and while agreeing to work as a paid lobbyist for Global
Crossing, a telecommunications giant seeking a major Pentagon contract.

c. Patriotism means emulating George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Paul
Wolfowitz, Richard Perle, John Bolton, Tom DeLay, John Ashcroft, Lewis
Libby, and others who enthusiastically supported the Vietnam War while
avoiding serving in it and who now are sending others to kill and be
killed in Iraq.

d. All of the above.

--

3. The Bush administration has accused Saddam Hussein of lying
regarding his weapons of mass destruction. Which of the following might

a. Constant claims by the Bush administration that there was
documentary evidence linking Iraq to attempted uranium purchases in
Niger, despite the fact that the documents were forgeries and CIA
analysts doubted their authenticity.

b. A British intelligence report on Iraq's security services that was
in fact plagiarized, with selected modifications, from a student
article.

c. The frequent citation of the incriminating testimony of Iraqi
defector Hussein Kamel, while suppressing that part of the testimony in
which Kamel stated that Iraqi weapons of mass destruction had been
destroyed following the 1991 Gulf War.

d. All of the above.

--

4. White House Press Secretary Ari Fleisher stormed out of a press
conference when the assembled reporters broke into laughter after he

a. It wasn't just bribery; we also ordered the bugging of the home and
office phones and emails of the UN ambassadors of Security Council
member states that were undecided on war.

b. Oh, come on! We've been doing this for years. In 1990 when Yemen
voted against authorizing war with Iraq, the U.S. ambassador declared
"That will be the most expensive 'no' vote you ever cast."

c. Why do you think the Africa Growth and Opportunity Act makes one of
the conditions for an African country to receive preferential access to
U.S. markets that it "not engage in activities that undermine United
States national security or foreign policy interests"?

d. All of the above.

--

5. George Bush has declared that "we have no fight with the Iraqi
people." What could he have cited as supporting evidence?

a. U.S. maintenance of 12 years of crippling sanctions that
strengthened Saddam Hussein while contributing to the death of hundreds
of thousands of Iraqi civilians.

b. The fact that "coalition" forces have indicated that they will use
cluster bombs in Iraq, despite warnings from human rights groups that
"The use of cluster munitions in Iraq will endanger civilians for years
to come."

c. By pointing to the analogy of Afghanistan, which the U.S. pledged
not to forget about when the war was over, and for which the current
Bush administration foreign aid budget request included not one cent in
aid.

d. All of the above.

--

6. The Bush administration has touted the many nations that are part of
the "coalition of the willing." Which of the following statements about

a. In most of the coalition countries polls show that a majority, often
an overwhelming majority, of the people oppose the war.

b. More than ten of the members of the coalition of the willing are
actually a coalition of the unwilling - unwilling to reveal their names.

c. Coalition members - most of whose contributions to the war are
negligible or even zero - constitute less than a quarter of the
countries in the UN and contain less than 20% of the world's population.

d. All of the above.

--

7. The war on Iraq is said to be part of the "war on terrorism." Which
of the following is true?

a. A senior American counterintelligence official said: "An American
invasion of Iraq is already being used as a recruitment tool by Al
Qaeda and other groups….And it is a very effective tool."

b. An American official, based in Europe, said Iraq had become "a
battle cry, in a way," for Al Qaeda recruiters.
c. France's leading counter-terrorism judge said: "Bin Laden's strategy
has always been to demonstrate to the Islamic community that the West,
and especially the U.S., is starting a global war against Muslims. An
attack on Iraq might confirm this vision for many Muslims. I am very
worried about the next wave of recruits."

d. All of the above.

--

8. The Bush administration says it is waging war to stop the spread of
weapons of mass destruction. Which of the following is true?

a. The United States has refused to ratify the Comprehensive Test Ban
Treaty, viewed worldwide as the litmus test for seriousness about
nuclear disarmament.

b. The United States has insisted on a reservation to the Chemical
Weapons Convention allowing the U.S. President the right to refuse an
inspection of U.S. facilities on national security grounds, and blocked
efforts to improve compliance with the Biological and Toxin Weapons
Convention.

c. Vice Admiral Lowell E. Jacoby, Director of the Defense Intelligence
Agency, testified on Feb. 11, 2003, "The long-term trends with respect
to WMD and missile proliferation are bleak. States seek these
capabilities for regional purposes, or to provide a hedge to deter or
offset U.S. military superiority."

d. All of the above.

--

9. The Bush administration says it wants to bring democracy to Iraq and
the Middle East. Which of the following is true?

a. If there were democracy in Saudi Arabia today, backing for the U.S.
war effort would be the first thing to go, given the country's
"increasingly anti-American population deeply opposed to the war."

b. The United States subverted some of the few democratic governments
in the Middle East (Syria in 1949, Iran in 1953), and has backed
undemocratic regimes in the region ever since.

c. The United States supported the crushing of anti-Saddam Hussein
revolts in Iraq in 1991.

d. All of the above.

--

10. Colin Powell cited as evidence of an Iraq-Al Qaeda link an
audiotape from bin Laden in which he called Saddam Hussein and his

a. An FBI official told the New York Times: "We've been looking at this
hard for more than a year and you know what, we just don't think it's
there."

b. According to a classified British intelligence report seen by BBC
News, "There are no current links between the Iraqi regime and the
al-Qaeda network."

c. According to Rohan Gunaratna, author of Inside Al Qaeda: Global
Network of Terror, "Since U.S. intervention in Afghanistan in October
2001, I have examined several tens of thousands of documents recovered
from Al Qaeda and Taliban sources. In addition to listening to 240
tapes taken from Al  Qaeda's central registry, I debriefed several Al
Qaeda and Taliban detainees. I could find no evidence of links between
Iraq and Al Qaeda."

d. All of the above.

--

Answers and Sources

1. d (a) Cong. Lane Evans, "Veterans Programs Slashed by House
Republicans," Press Release, 3/13/03,
http://www.veterans.house.gov/democratic/press/108th/3-13-03budget.htm.
(b) Brian Faler, "Educators Angry Over Proposed Cut in Aid; Many
Children in Military Families Would Feel Impact," Washington Post,
3/19/03, p. A29. (c) See Veterans' for Common Sense, letter to George
W. Bush, 3/20/03
http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/print.asp?id=563; Melissa B.
Robinson, "Hospitals Face Budget Crunch," Associated Press, 7/31/02;
Jason Tait, "Veterans angered by marketing ban," Eagle-Tribune
(Lawrence, MA), 8/2/02,
http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20020802/FP_003.htm

2. d (a) Warren Vieth and Elizabeth Douglass, " Ousting Hussein could
open the door for U.S. and British firms. French, Russian and Chinese
rivals would lose their edge," Los Angeles Times, 3/12/03, p. I:1;
Robert Bryce and Julian Borger, "Halliburton: Cheney is still paid by
Pentagon contractor, Bush deputy gets Dollars 1m from firm with Iraq
oil deal," Guardian (London), 3/12/03, p. 5 (which notes that
Halliburton "would not say how much the payments are; the obligatory
disclosure statement filled by all top government officials says only
that they are in the range of" $100,000 and $1 million. (b) Seymour M.
Hersh, "Lunch with the Chairman," New Yorker, 3/16/03; Stephen Labaton,
"Pentagon Adviser Is Also Advising Global Crossing," NYT, 3/21/03, p.
C1. Perle is to be paid $725,000 for his lobbying effort, including
$600,000 if his lobbying is successful. (c) New Hampshire Gazette, "The
Chickenhawks," http://nhgazette.com/chickenhawks.html.

3. d (a) See the evidence collected in Cong. Henry Waxman's letter to
George W. Bush, 3/17/03,
http://www.house.gov/waxman/text/admin_iraq_march_17_let.htm. (b) See
Glen Rangwala's report, http://traprockpeace.org/britishdossier.html.
(c) See Glen Rangwala's report, http://traprockpeace.org/kamel.html.

4. d (a) Martin Bright, Ed Vulliamy, and Peter Beaumont, The Observer
(London), 3/2/03. (b) Quoted in Phyllis Bennis, Calling the Shots: How
Washington Dominates Today's UN, New York: Olive Branch, 1996, p. 33.
(c) Sarah Anderson, Phyllis Bennis, and John Cavanagh, Coalition of the
Willing or Coalition of the Coerced?: How The Bush Administration
Influences Allies in Its War on Iraq, Washington, DC: Institute for
Policy Studies, 2/26/03, p. 4.

5. d (a) For background, see Anthony Arnove, ed., Iraq Under Siege: The
Deadly Impact of Sanctions and War, Cambridge: South End Press, updated
ed. 2003. (b) Paul Waugh, "Labour MPs Attack Hoon After He Reveals That
British Forces Will Use Cluster Bombs," Independent, 3/21/03, p. 4;
Human Rights Watch, Press Release, 3/18/03: "Persian Gulf: U.S. Cluster
Bomb Duds A Threat; Warning Against Use of Cluster Bombs in Iraq." (c)
Zvi Bar'el, "Flaws in the Afghan Model," Ha'aretz, 3/14/03,
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/objects/pages/
PrintArticleEn.jhtml?itemNo=272884.

6. d (a) See, for example, the revealing comment of Secretary of State
Powell: "We need to knock down this idea that nobody is on our side. So
many nations recognize this danger [of Iraq's weapons]. And they do it
in the face of public opposition." Quoted in Steven R. Weisman With
Felicity Barringer, "Urgent Diplomacy Fails To Gain U.S. 9 Votes In The
U.N." NYT, 3/10/03, p. A1) (b) U.S. Dept. of State, Daily Press
Briefing, Richard Boucher, Washington, DC, 3/18/03. (c) Country list:
White House, Statement of Support from Coalition, 3/25/03,
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/03/print/20030325-8.html;
population calculated from Statistical Abstract of the United States,
2001, Washington, DC: 2001, table 1327. Total includes USA. The White
House list includes countries whose leaders have done no more than
state their support for the United States, and the listing changes from
day to day, with some countries being added and some removed.

7. d (a) Don Van Natta Jr. and Desmond Butler, "Anger On Iraq Seen As
New Qaeda Recruiting Tool," NYT, 3/16/03, p. I:1. (b) Van Natta and
Butler, NYT, 3/16/03. (c) Van Natta and Butler, NYT, 3/16/03.

8. d (a) Colum Lynch, "U.S. Boycotts Nuclear Test Ban Meeting; Some
Delegates at U.N. Session Upset at Latest Snub of Pact Bush Won't
Back," Washington Post, 11/12/02, p. A6. (b) Amy E. Smithson, "U.S.
Implementation of the CWC," in Jonathan B. Tucker, The Chemical Weapons
Convention: Implementation Challenges and Solutions, Monterey
Institute, April 2001, pp. 23-29,
http://cns.miis.edu/pubs/reports/tuckcwc.htm; Jonathan Tucker, "The
Fifth Review Conference of the Biological and Toxin Weapons
Convention," Feb. 2002, http://www.nti.org/e_research/e3_7b.html. (c)
Testimony before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, excerpted
at http://traprockpeace.org/usefulquotesoniraq.html.

9. d (a) Craig S. Smith, "Saudi Arabia Seems Calm But, Many Say, Is
Seething," NYT, 3/24/03, p. B13. In fact, "Though the Saudi government
officially denies it, the bombing campaign is being directed from Saudi
Arabia - something that few Saudis realize." (b) On Syria, see Douglas
Little, ACold War and Covert Action: The United States and Syria, 1945
1958,@ Middle East Journal, vol. 44, no. 1, Winter 1990, pp. 55 57. On
Iran, see Mark J. Gasiorowski, "The 1953 Coup D'Etat in Iran,"
International Journal of Middle East Studies, vol. 19, Aug. 1987, pp.
261-86. (c) Andrew Cockburn and Patrick Cockburn, Out of the Ashes: The
Resurrection of Saddam Hussein, New York: HarperPerennial. 1999, chap.
1.

10.  d (re audiotape, see David Johnston, "Top U.S. Officials Press
Case Linking Iraq To Al Qaeda," NYT, 2/12/03, p. A1; Mohamad Bazzi,
"U.S. says bin Laden tape urging Iraqis to attack appears real,"
Newsday, 2/12/03, p. A5. (a) James Risen and David Johnston, "Split at
C.I.A. and F.B.I. On Iraqi Ties to Al Qaeda," NYT, 2/2/03, p. I:13. (b)
"Leaked Report Rejects Iraqi al-Qaeda Link," BBC News, 2/5/03. (c)
Rohan Gunaratna, "Iraq and Al Qaeda: No Evidence of Alliance,"
International Herald Tribune, 2/19/03.

--

Interpreting Your Score

9-10 Correct: Excellent. Contact United for Peace and Justice,
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/, and work to fight the war and the
system that produced it.

6-8 Correct: Fair. You've been watching a few too many former generals
and government officials who provide the "expert" commentary for the
mainstream media. Read the alternative media!

3-5 Correct: Poor. Don't feel bad. George W. Bush only got a C- in
International Relations at College.

0-2 Correct: Failing. You have a bright future as an "embedded"
journalist.