Argyria and the myth of the blue god, Krishna

Rohit Khare khare at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 3 10:34:16 PST 2003

So I heard this utterly crazy story on 910 AM, C|Net Radio last night,
and it turned out the talk-show host wasn't kidding -- silver can
actually turn your skin blue. What I find even MORE astonishing is that
there isn't a single page on google that even mentions argyria and
Krishna, since this is a perfect fit to the myth of a blue-skinned god,
of which there are many in Hinduism, and none so fundamental as Krishna.

Well, at least now that I've posted this, there will be *one* hit :-)

Rohit

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1003blueskin03-ON.html

Supplement leaves candidate with blue skin

Associated Press
Oct. 3, 2002 10:31 AM

GREAT FALLS, Mont. - Montana's Libertarian candidate for Senate has
turned blue from drinking a silver solution that he believed would
protect him from disease.

Stan Jones,a 63-year-old business consultant and part-time college
instructor, said he started taking colloidal silver in 1999 for fear
that Y2K disruptions might lead to a shortage of antibiotics.

He made his own concoction by electrically charging a couple of silver
wires in a glass of water.

His skin began turning blue-gray a year ago.

"People ask me if it's permanent and if I'm dead," he said. "I tell them
I'm practicing for Halloween."

He does not take the supplement any longer, but the skin condition,
called argyria, is permanent. The condition is generally not serious.

Colloidal silver dietary supplements are marketed widely as an
anti-bacterial agent or immune-system booster, but some consider it
quackery.

Jones is one of three candidates seeking to unseat Democratic Sen. Max
Baucus in November. The others are Republican state Sen. Mike Taylor

http://www.arizonarepublic.com/news/gifs/breaking/1003blueskin03-ON.jpg