Massive quantities of ice crystals on Mars

Eirikur Hallgrimsson eh@mad.scientist.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 04:56:54 -0400

Ah, but none of these carry the obvious moral authority and formal
correctness of the (definitive) Reverse-Polish Moon Treaty.

The RPMT (Google won't get you very far unless you can glean a lot from
the faint shreds of context) basically specifies a way of creating and
universally distributing property rights in what would otherwise become a
commons, subject to the Tragedy thereof.

My own invention is the application of the RPMT to the human genome.
I think I wind up owning (and selling or passing on to my heirs) a few
base pairs in some random gene.   I do like this idea much more
than the present nonsense of allowing patents on what are properties of
reality.  The human genome, if subject to ownership at all, should be
jointly owned by humanity.    I suppose the RPMT doesn't address the
disinheritance of future decendents of people who sell their rights
immediately.   I don't see why those people don't deserve the same share
(size of commons divided by Earth's population) that the original
generation was assigned.   Gee.  I haven't thought of this bug before.

Eirikur

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 05:27 pm, Elias Sinderson wrote:
> Several people participating in this thread are apparently unaware of
> the following relevant documents (or have not taken the time to read
> them), listed from the most recent:
>
> The Space Millennium: Vienna Declaration on Space and Human Development
> http://www.oosa.unvienna.org/unisp-3/res/html/viennadecl.html

(snip)