Fwd: IP: New Scientist: Can we travel to distant galaxies through quantum wormholes?

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym@canada.com
24 May 2002 12:01:39 -0400

    >> The CERN Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland is expected to
    >> generate one mini-black hole per second, a potential source of
    >> wormholes through which physicists could try to send
    >> quantum-sized particles.

Cool.  Forget couriering bunnies or even chrome Arnolds; we just sit
by the portal with a chronosynclastic pea-shooter causing minor
prankish annoyances that butterfly up into major historical re-writes!

Get me Keanu, I got me a movie script here.

In perhaps an essay in Very Early Universe or maybe 500 Years of
Gravity (or some such title) Hawking describes the only viable
'wormhole' as a "torus shaped black hole" (CERN's LHC blowing
'smokerings'?) The 'portal' is the donut hole, but, sadly, the
surrounding torus stretches the traveller into a proton-diameter
stream of plasma as they approach the gateway: Apparently, the
differential time-sheer in a steep space-time gradient creates
interesting problems for anything larger than a few angstroms.

But with a suitably small particle ...

ouch!  hey! ok. who shot that?