public domain

Joseph S. Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Wed, 22 May 2002 08:55:39 -0700

> And which one of you provided me with this jem?
> (and which song is it?) ...
>
>       "This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright
>       #154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it
>       without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn,
>       cause we don't give a dern. Publish it.  Write it. Sing

See http://www.woodyguthrie.com/

Pete Seeger, June 1967:

When Woody Guthrie was singing hillbilly songs on a little Los Angeles
radio station in the late 1930s,
he used to mail out a small mimeographed songbook to listeners who
wanted the words to his songs,
On the bottom of one page appeared the following: "This song is
Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of
Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin
it without our permission, will
be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't give a dern. Publish it.
Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it.
We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do." W.G.

- Joe