[IRR] Orson Scott Card on Israelis and Muslims

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
14 May 2002 18:11:07 -0400

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 17:51, John Hall wrote:
> The wealth wasn't stripped as much as created and removed.  As an
> example, oil wasn't wealth until Western society made it so, found it,
> created ways of extracting and moving it, etc.

Gold and salt were the basis of extensive trading empires in Western
Africa for hundreds of years before Europeans arrived in Africa.
Europeans monopolized those trades themselves and turned those people
into destitute farmers, and now earn all the profit from any sales of
either of those commodities anywhere on the continent. Please learn a
little history. Just a smidgen.

> The structures of a civilized culture required a civilized culture to
> maintain.  Go figure.  Note that it didn't necessarily require the same
> culture that brought them.  Asia is a case in point.

LOL. Next you'll tell me that the Asians should be glad we invented
gunpowder, printing, and calendars.

> As to drawing maps, we have already covered the fact that the
> colonialists were not in it for the natives benefit.  On the other hand,
> you do have a point about bad maps and arbitrary lines.

I'm not claiming they were in it for the benefit of the natives. I'm
claiming that if they were actually superior they /would/ have been in
it for the benefit, or at least not for the active destruction of, the
natives. That they were in it for purely exploitative purposes
demonstrates that (at best) 'we''re no better than 'they' are in any
significant moral sense.

Luis