Tivo is Theft

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Fri, 3 May 2002 14:18:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 3 May 2002, John Hall wrote:
> I can respect that position.  In this case, though, having them find a
> different business is not something most people would wind up
> appreciating.

I think the latter sentence summarizes the key assumption you are
making here, and that some people on this list disagree with.
It's only because people believe the entertainment industry must
continue to use the same business models that they feel the terms of
this implicit contract need protection.

I'd prefer not to assume limits on what industry is capable of doing.
Rather than predicting it will be unable to adapt itself (and adding
enforcement that will encourage its inertia), i say let it adapt.
I think history will back up this position.

-- ?!ng