AI, by def'n

Dave Long dl@silcom.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:06:23 -0800

It has been reported* that Webster offers
a definition of 'intelligent' which makes
AI entirely feasible:

<http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?intelligent>
> 3 a : guided or controlled by a computer;

-Dave

-------

* by Dijkstra, in EWD618:
<http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd06xx/EWD618.PDF>
part of his EWD series, collected at:
<http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/welcome.html>

He is entirely enough of a curmudgeon to
invite to FoRK, but is unlikely to accept,
at least until we can distribute fountain
penned posts.

EWD1305:
> ... I don't need to waste my time with a computer just because I am a
> computer scientist.  [Medical researchers are not required to suffer
> from the diseases they investigate.]

and perhaps not even then:

EWD1252:
> I remember how, with the advent of terminals, interactive debugging
> was supposed to solve all our programming problems, and how, with the
> advent of colour screens, "algorithm animation" was supposed to do
> the same. And what did we get? Commercial software with a disclaimer
> that explicitly states that you are a fool if you rely on what you
> just bought.
>
> And now we have the multimedia/communication hype: the best bits are
> those that just arrived from far away, and if you are not "on line",
> "on the Net", you just don't count, you are not of this world (which
> is virtual anyhow...).

Still, despite his insistence for some
strange reason that computing should be
approached as if it were K-limited, not