Fwd: Mobile Porn Coming to Europe

carey carey@tstonramp.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:27:57 -0800

I swear, when it comes to tech all our priorities are in the wrong
place.. Europe gets porn on their cells before us?  This is wrong.

Now I think I need to take a vacation :)

http://www.wired.com/news/wireless

As a friend said:

"I wished someone would have told me about this :)"

Mobile Porn Coming to Europe
By Elisa Batista

2:00 a.m. Oct. 24, 2001 PDT

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,47813,00.html

The U.S. wireless industry raised a collective eyebrow over news that a
European phone company plans to offer wireless pornography over
third-generation mobile phones.

Hutchison 3G, a new entrant to Britain's overcrowded mobile phone sector,

The executive is charged with developing ways of offering "soft-core
pornography" over 3G mobile phones, which will support multimedia and are
expected to be in people's hands next fall.

A Hutchison employee told the Financial Times that a member of its
"entertainment" team had been asked to explore the potential benefits and
disadvantages of such a service.

The source said Hutchison is unlikely to produce or edit porn, but may
form partnerships with porn producers and take a cut of revenue.

"We have looked long and hard at this, but have still not decided what
sort of services we will be offering," the employee told the Times.

The company also plans to develop filtering software to prevent children
from viewing wireless smut, the employee said.

Hutchison couldn't be reached for comment.

Verizon Wireless, the United States' largest mobile carrier, immediately
ruled itself out as a potential provider of wireless porn.

"It's not a service we are pursuing at this time," said Brenda Raney, a
Verizon spokeswoman. "We're in the business of providing quality services
for our customers and that doesn't sound like it would fit the needs of
our customers."

Daniel Miller, an analyst with market research firm Kelsey Group,
questioned whether people would want to access porn all the time, which
would be possible on a mobile phone.

"It crosses lines between public and private," he said. "You probably
wouldn't want someone next to you in the subway car reading Playboy. There
are boundaries that are crossed having mobile versions of pornography."

However, Miller said he isn't surprised that a carrier is mulling such
services.

"Phone sex is as old as the pay-per-call marketplace and it
thrived," Miller said. "There is a history."

And future phone sex is expected to be even more appealing than
traditional phone-sex.

Next-generation, or 3G, wireless phones will enable users to download full
color photographs from the Internet at speeds of up to 2 Mbps.

And as the phones become faster and the screens larger, users will be able
to stream short video clips. 3G phones have already been launched in
Japan.

Wireless smut may be lucrative, and mobile carriers are keen to recoup the
billions they paid for spectrum licenses. The Internet porn industry is
already worth about a billion dollars a year, according to Forrester
Research.

"It's conceivable that whatever content people are interested in accessing
on the fixed-line Internet, can potentially be accessed on the wireless
Internet as well," said Keith Nowak, a spokesman for Nokia.

Hutchison, which is 20 percent owned by Japan's NTT DoCoMo, apparently
views pornography as a lucrative market.

But the Kelsey Group's Miller said "moralistic" opposition to pornography
in the United States will kill wireless porn before it even hits the
market.

"If it has to use telco infrastructure or wireless carrier infrastructure
this may never see the light of day," he said.

Best regards,
 carey                            mailto:carey@tstonramp.com