The real bandwidth numbers.

Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:48:01 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Adam L. Beberg wrote:

> Silly forker, it means pirate-to-pirate. Which is the main reason you
> cant make it efficient, becasue that would also make it trackable.

Pirates be damned, there's value in a persistent, uncensorable web, which
also puts Akamai out of business.

> > Actually border proxies might solve some of the latency problems of
> > community wireless.

Cut-through wireless routing (won't work with TCP/IP, for obvious reasons)
with fallback to store-and-forward would absolutely solve ad hoc wireless
latency.  Plus, how many hops are there in the city?

> Oddles of them. I designed all this back in '95, noone was interested then,
> noone is now.

In P2P the node is the proxy.

> The bottom like is about 99.44% of the content people are interested in is
> pirated. So your focus HAS to be evasion, not optimization. Not to mention
> how many people make money shipping bits around. The things that make
> gnutella technicly stupid-as-hell are the same things that make it so
> popular.

What's the problem with people pirating content? IP enforcement on enduser
content is something relatively new, why can/should it last?