Collaborative Publishing and Project Knowledge Base/Documents: What's better than TWiki?

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:42:05 -0500

After a few hours of comparing groupware systems, I've become more
interested in Wiki style systems.  TWiki in particular has a good
combination of versioning, user and group control, and all the
traditional features of Wikis.

http://www.twiki.org/

I'm currently looking for a groupware system for two uses:

o  http://www.tutorial.com, a domain I've long had undeveloped.  I'm
thinking of starting with an open tutorial knowledge base and work on
profitable additions from there.  It occurred to me that the simplest
way to build such a free-form idea is to use a Wiki.  I also have to
come up with a suitable IP license, but that's a different problem.

o  Open Source-based document and knowledge management for projects.
 I've seen Wiki's compared favorably to Lotus Notes.  Ideally, a number
of features would be added via a module to support things like
Requirements Tracability, etc., but collaboratively building a number of
project documents in a hyperlinked web would be very useful.

So what is better than TWiki?

What's wrong with using TWiki or Wiki style collaborative environments?

Is there a Wiki with WebDav?

I really like the TWiki ascii shorthand for HTML constructs, especially
for tables, TOC, headings, and embedded links.  I've got to get this
code into Squirrelmail for web based email composition where I want to
do tables occasionally.

Thanks
sdw