The real bandwidth numbers.

Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:11:00 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Adam L. Beberg wrote:

> Enduser per-GB rates are coming.

P2P with good local node discovery algorithm typically generates only
local traffic. I.e. ISP doesn't have to spring for routing arrangement,
and the customer gets excellent QoS (due to local bandwidth glut). So it
should be in the best interest of customer and ISP both to distribute e.g.
a hacked Mojo Nation which limits its scope of operation to e.g. for
T-Online to *.dip.t-dialin.net. Special peering nodes for P2P traffic
could be arranged, with dynamic throttling, to keep incoming and outgoing
roughly balanced.

Of course, it is easier to make the customer bleed for every
incoming/outgoing packet. However, we're approaching a time where a person
will purchase a plug and play (no configuration, automatic local network
discovery) *affordable* wireless router (you did get that message on IP
about wireless cell bandwidth to be pushable to 10 GBit/s, and this is not
even line of sight laser?), and become a bridge/node in urban ad hoc
wireless.

I live on the outskirts of a city with ~1e6 people. While I would still
keep my DSL line, the bulk of my traffic will be exchanged for the price
of the hardware, and the power bill.