Linux now 11% of IBM MIPS sold

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 03:33:02 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> You can agree or disagree with the numbers, but the point is that "the
> whole purpose" proposed therein is TCO, not increased reliability at the
> OS level.

Right, but when your machines are crashing and your customers are freaking
out, that's not exactly good for business. Since basicly all my work is with
products that are more then $19.99/month, I can say they don't care much
about TCO, they want _ZERO_ downtime. A 7-digit check is no big deal, but 7
milliseconds of downtime means heads will roll... Linux is still a nice toy
OS, and you get exactly what you pay for.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com