Linux now 11% of IBM MIPS sold

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:19:13 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Eirikur Hallgrimsson wrote:

> I want to clap and whistle.  This is just great.

Yea, give it long enough and it just might be smart. Putting linux on a
mainframe preaty much defeats the whole purpose. Sure you get the reliable
hardware, but then you look at the constant series of kernel releases with
VM bugs and a steady stream of "we screwed up again, oops, cant sue anyone,
it's FREE". Lets not even get into the wonderful security model linux hasn't
got, or all the exploits for all the apps it ships with.

You buy a mainframe because you know that if anything is wrong, they caught
it long long ago, and if something does manage to get through the 12 layers
of QA, beta sites, torture tests and all the other things real software
developers do, you know it's fixed within hours, because the developer is
probably on the phone with you. Can IBM do this with Linux?  No chance.

Linux has a damn long way to go. It will get there tho, eventually...
someday... and IBM will probably end up doing much of what really needs to
be done.

> Well, it is, after all, the best OS that money can't buy.

Yea, exactly. I'll trust it with all the servers I'm not making money with.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com