Linux now 11% of IBM MIPS sold

Eirikur Hallgrimsson eirikur1@mediaone.net
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:08:21 -0500

I want to clap and whistle.  This is just great.

IBM is following through.  It wasn't clear to me that they would.  (I had
a job lined-up that was defunded.)

Recently, in evaluating Linux cluster-installation and OS-updating
packages for Microway,I was struck by how it seems at least half of the
projects and well more than half of the "open" work in that particular
space is supported (often hosted and managed) by IBM.

Both of the Free "cluster on a CD" packages (Rocks and OSCAR, I mean) use
the IBM-sponsored stuff.   From what I can see, IBM is really adding value
here.  There's been some very worthwhile project consolidation and
coordination.

Well, it is, after all, the best OS that money can't buy.

Eirikur