Re[2]: Enron & culpability (was: Dear John Hall)

John Hall johnhall@evergo.net
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:27:59 -0800

Perfectly willing.

You seem to have missed the qualification.  "If you can't know, with a
normal effort ..."

In other parts of the post I also mentioned 'willful blindness'.

Later on you seem confused by the point that things revolve around what
someone knows or can be expected to know.  That concept isn't easy, but it
is essential to deal with certain Epistemological problems.

In a further explanation of my 'ex post facto' comment, consider whether a
particular trail revolves around one of two different questions.  "Did the
defendant do X, which is against the law." or "Everyone agrees X happened,
but was it against the law?"  If you really can't determine before the start
of the trial that something will be found to be illegal, then you are in
effect engaging in 'ex post facto law'.

The real question is this: are you disagreeing that in America today there
are significant cases where it isn't just difficult, but IMPOSSIBLE, to
determine that something is against the law before a verdict has been
reached and a precedent set?

We can expect normal people to know that killing your wife is against the
law.

We cannot expect normal people to know that they can be convicted for
filling in a wetland when they put fill on their own land, and that land was
bone dry when they put the fill in was rarely even damp; especially if they
are the very first person to be prosecuted under an innovative definition of
wetland.

Mr. Chen should have been convicted of 2nd degree murder.  The question
isn't whether he did know, it is whether he didn't know and should have
known.  He should have known.

I did not state that defrauding people was not bad and punishable.

The insurance scam worked like this.  Perp creates a publicly tradeable
company worth nothing, but it has a 'market cap'.  It became tradeable
because the person gave away enough stock to enough different people.  All
such gifts were clearly labled 'this is currently worthless and will
probably always be worthless'.  Finally, Perp effectively prevented anyone
from buying or selling the stock (no fraud yet).  Next, Perp rents stock to
an insurance company for use in its state capital requirements.  These
agreements *customarily* state that if the insurance company gets in trouble
they can sell the stock and use the proceeds.  This one *did not*.  By
signing it, the insurance company (not the Perp) was thus misrepresenting
its assets to the state.  Insurance company goes bankrupt.  State looks for
assets to cover insurance claims, finds the creative contract, and puts Perp
in jail for fraud.  What he did was slimy, and that convicted him.  But it
still sounds to me like his plan was legal and the person who should have
gone to jail for fraud was the insurance company directors that singed the
funny 'rent' contract.  Mind you, the Perp *deserved* jail.  I'm just not
sure they got him fair and square.

No, conspiracies are usually quite obvious to all who participate in them.

I blame the accountants and lawyers because they have a far higher burden,
being experts in the law and rules, in knowing what is and isn't kosher.  If
I go to a lawyer and say 'is this legal?', and they say 'yes', then in most
cases that *should* be a shield.  *PROVIDED* I didn't go shopping for the
one incompetent or dishonest lawyer I could find who would give me the
answer I wanted.