Enron & culpability (was: Dear John Hall)

John Hall johnhall@evergo.net
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:22:23 -0800

Ah no, I don't agree at all.

If they were drinking the koolaid and their actions indicate that then they
should be home free unless they meet a relatively tough standard of being
'willfully blind'.

Otherwise, you simply criminalize failure.  If you can't know, with a normal
effort, that your actions will be considered illegal then you should never
be convicted.  Otherwise, you are effectively prosecuting people with 'ex
post facto' laws and regulations.  That is not a rule of law; that is a rule
of tyranny.  [Note: My standards for convicting someone goes down if the
evidence suggests that they were intentionally trying to circumvent the
spirit of the law and turn the law into a pretzel.  Even then I can get
queasy.  There was a WSJ story about someone who found such a loophole and
went out of their way to make sure no 'normal' people were exposed to risk.
(It involved renting stock to an insurance company.  Did you know that can
be done?) He was convicted anyway.  He thought he was convicted unfairly.  I
had mixed feelings on it.]

A conspiracy that does not seem such when it was done is not a conspiracy.
Such a person lacks a 'guilty mind'.  The only honest way to get around that
is in cases where 'even an idiot' should have seen that it was against the
law.

The primary people who should be in the dock on the partnerships are the
lawyers and accountants who gave them the stamp of approval.

The primary reason to hang the company officers out to dry involves insider
trading and fraudulent statements about the company.  The problem for the
officers is that no matter how much kookaid they were drinking, there is
almost by definition a time lag between understanding that there was a
problem and disclosing it.  That is the time of their most severe criminal
liability.  The other claim, particularly in civil suits, is that they
should have known sooner.