Dear John Hall

John Hall johnhall@evergo.net
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:59:37 -0800

It was not my understanding that they sold them all.  Exactly how much, and
what percentage, and when will be intimately looked at.  It is currently my
understanding, for example, that Lay retained a lot of shares that he didn't
sell - because he thought the price would increase in the future.  Those he
did sell were in response to a margin call.

The issue of inside selling before a carsh is mostly a factual question.
Were the big wigs selling or dumping?  Where they dumping when they advised
other investors to buy?  I've heard different things on this.  I don't think
either of us know the answer, yet.

The stock transfer freeze appears to be mostly a red herring.  The price had
already tumbled 80% or so before the 10 day freeze, and the 10 day freeze
was announced well in advance.

Or are you talking about the restrictions on selling company contributed
stock?  I'm afraid I don't think there is much of an issue there.  Many of
the employees were over 50 (and could sell all of their stock).  Those that
were not could sell all of the stock they purchased with their own funds.
In other words, to the extent such employees were harmed they suffered the
exact same harm as all other investors in the stock.

-----Original Message-----
From: carey [mailto:carey@tstonramp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 4:44 PM
To: johnhall@evergo.net
Cc: fork@xent.com
Subject: Re: Dear John Hall

> People sometimes assume conspiracy when incompetence is a better
> explanation.

Fine. I'll honor that logic. Now, explain through incompetence, how the
bigwig shareholders managed to sell off their stocks merely through their
stupidity, and not through some far more likely, knowledge and intent of the
behavior.

Bonus:  Explain incompetence as the reason behind Lay's later decision to
not allow the average employees to sell off their stock, that was soon to be
worthless.  I'm sorry, that doesn't strike me as incompetence.  THat strikes
me as planned, calculated attacks, that just went wrong.  I'm tired of
hearing the incompetence argument for corporations. Its as old and tired as
the insanity argument is for criminal actions.