The Time Has Come, The Walrus Said...

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:41:50 -0600

3 years, 11 months, 27 days, 1 hour, 31 minutes and 47 seconds
47 months, 27 days, 1 hour, 31 minutes and 47 seconds
1457 days, 1 hour, 31 minutes and 47 seconds
34968 hours, 31 minutes and 47 seconds
2098080 minutes and 47 seconds
125884800  seconds

...as is often the case when you've been traveling at the speed
of light, timelike intervals measure differently depending on the
observer's frame of reference...

That's how long it's been (roughly) since my Obligatory Hello
Message on FoRK [1] --- January 27, 1998 16:25:35.  And now it's
time to say good bye, at least for a while.  For various reasons
too complicated (or simple, maybe) to go into, it's time for me
to take a break.  I'm not irritated, aggravated, overwhelmed,
pissed off, miffed, disinterested, bored, stressed, depressed,
upset, or any other negative thing like that --- I'm sitting here
with smile on my face as I type this --- it's just time to go.
No particular event triggered this realization, it's just been
sort of creeping up on me for a while.  I'd been planning for the
last couple of weeks to hold out until 16:25:35 on the 27th for
the obvious artistic reasons, but the moment just sort of struck
me this afternoon and it became clear that it was time.

(I'm only bothering to announce this non-event because on those
rare occasions in the past when my torrential post rate has
dropped below some threshold I've received all kinds of truly
concerned messages to the effect of "is everything okay?"
Everything is very much ok. :-)

It's been a wild, wonderful ride.  It's been fun, it's been
enlightening, enriching, infuriating, exasperating, exhilarating,
nauseating, dizzy.  It's been full of laughter and tears and hugs
and winks, bits and bombs, clues and cluelessness, moments of
ultimate clarity and (many more :-) moments of heinous
confusion.  I want to thank everybody involved for *all* of
that;  I consider everybody here to belong to the set  "my very
best friends" --- most especially those of you who've been
involved in the loudest shouting matches with me.  It has *truly*
been an honor and a privilege.

I'll be around, just not around these parts for a while.  Y'all
take care now, hear?

$0.02,

jb

[1] http://www.xent.com/FoRK-archive/jan98/0307.html