Alternate Histories ...

John Hall johnhall@evergo.net
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:42:16 -0800

I found the end of 'Guns of the South' implausible as well.  I hate any
alternative history that winds up with the south winning.  Things wouldn't
have gone as the ending suggested, and the future would be even worse.

Alternate History by Historians:
What If
What If 2
... both are anthologies with well written alternate history sketches.
Usually, focusing on the What If in military history and the likely changes
in history that could result.

Alternate Histories - Time Travel Sci-Fi.

Short story: "The man who came too soon." set in Iceland.
"Lest Darkness Fall"
Eric Flint's "1632"
The first 4 or so books starting with "The Cross-Time Engineer."  by
Frankowski
Stirling's Nantucket series.  I've read the first "Island in the Sea of
Time".
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain started it all ...

There are also some anthologies with this theme in the Sci-Fi section of
Barnes and Noble.