AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym@canada.com
21 Jan 2002 17:15:22 -0500

    L> On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 11:11, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
    L> I don't think that's accurate at all. Linus is constantly
    L> talking on putting Linux on every possible piece of HW he can
    L> get his hands on

true, yes, but that's a very different question from making it a
mainstream OS for non-technical people.

    L> 'World domination' can't be done without becoming popular,

In Linus' own words, Linux has nothing whatsoever to do with world
domination. It is only said to be something "fun for him to work on"
and that distinction is very, very important when you want to
understand why Linux is the way it is.

If anyone can find any reference to Linus saying differently, please
post it -- I searched quite earnestly when I was lobbying for kernel
documentation and could find no such reference.  The closest I ever
found was a comment by his mother (about how Linux might aid
developing nations).  I have found no such quote by Linus Torvalds.

What happens on Groundhog Day?   http://www.teledyn.com/fun/GroundhogDay
"There are many things which do not concern the process" --- Joan of Arc