AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
21 Jan 2002 14:51:33 -0500

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 14:41, Eugene Leitl wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2002, Luis Villa wrote:
>
> > I don't think that's accurate at all. Linus is constantly talking on
> > putting Linux on every possible piece of HW he can get his hands on,
> > and there is constant work on getting drivers for everything under the
> > sun. 'World domination' can't be done without becoming popular,
> > period.
>
> What makes you think Linus is an elitist?

Heh. Good point. The relevant factor, I think, is not whether or not
he's an elitist, but whether or not he has sway over the elitists. He's
told them to fuck off fairly regularly in the past, and their response
has been fairly minimal- there isn't much they can do, short of fork the
kernel. To put it another way- Linux elitists talk an awful good game,
but they have very little control. They don't control the kernel, they
don't control the distros, they don't control the two desktop projects.
So... the linux 'elitists' may not really like diversification... but
their opinion is mainly irrelevant.

This ties in to the other thread, I think- elites that are completely
out of touch with the common people, in /any/ field, do get left behind.
As any political scientist will tell you, cues from elites (particularly
in the media) are _important_ to determining outcomes of political
decisions- but they aren't all-powerful, and the further the elites
drift from the masses who they purport to lead the less power and
influence they have. Witness the Democratic Party through the 80s-
dominated by elites from the far left and hence unable to elect a
president. Linux elitists will soon (if they haven't already) find
themselves with basically no one left who will listen to them if they
continue to insist the system should be hard to use.

Luis