Elite Irony

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:07:18 -0600

Tom wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Jeff Bone wrote:
> --]
> --]I'm not suggesting (I would *never* suggest!) that the elites should dictate the
> --]agenda, just that having them as a safe harbor for certain unpopular ideas is useful.
>
> I think there is room  in this world for ALL manner of ideas, os's, life
> styles and methods....But when one of them decides they KNow Better, that
> all the rest are either Morons or UNwashd Barbarians needing to be
> Converted..thats when the problems start.

Actually, no.  It's possible --- maybe even likely in some contexts --- that indeed, they do
know better.  The problem doesn't start with this attitude, the problem starts when the
elites are allowed to set more than just their own agendas.  The problem is one of who
controls various agendas.  As it always has been...

(Think about the counter-possibility;  if self-identified elites (think Larry Wall, Perl)
aren't allowed to control their own agendas but rather have them set for them, what do you
think happens?

jb