Elite Irony

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:53:22 -0600

carey wrote:

> Ok listen jb...
>
> Here's the problem with the 'elite rulez' mentality

Again, please read what I wrote.  I'm not suggesting the elites should rule,
just that (a) they serve a useful purpose in maintaining certain unpopular but
eventually-valuable ideas over time, and (b) that there are plenty of examples
--- particularly in UI design and practice --- which illustrate that what people
think they want is often not the best, cost-effectively achievable solution.
Populism does a great job of climbing the local hill;  it *obviously,
empirically* doesn't do a particularly good job of picking which hill to climb.

One other point to note:  while we're talking about elites, let's talk about
open source (or other software) project management styles.  Look around.  The
packages which are most useful to the largest number of parties tend to be the
ones with the most autocratic (albeit hopefully benevolent) single leaders at
the helm.  That should tell us something.

jb