Elite Irony

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:49:03 -0600

Tom wrote:

> A lot of innovation has happened INSPITE of the so called geek Elite.

No doubt.  The claims aren't mutually exclusive.

> Down this road is justified WIndows, Apple, Liebenstraum, Copyright
> Controls, the Moral Majority and many other ideas.

One point:  I would say Microsoft doesn't belong on this list:  they've gotten where
they are by giving the users *everything* they ask for an exercising *no* obvious
editorial control. ;-)  And describing them as an elite is just, well, weird IMO.

> "the common man does not know thier own needs, for that they must
> inherently look to the rulers."

I'm not suggesting (I would *never* suggest!) that the elites should dictate the
agenda, just that having them as a safe harbor for certain unpopular ideas is useful.

jb