AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

Eirikur Hallgrimsson Eirikur@Microway.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:10:39 -0500

> On 21 Jan 2002, Luis Villa wrote:
 Or I can use Red Hat and have both. That
> choice is very, very easy for me to make.

Red Hat has done a masterful job with finding the sweet spot of "pretty
current" but "very stable."   And  their install succeeds on just about
anything that resembles a PC.  They obviously do a lot of testing.
(I used to own the responsibility for something that had to install on just
about any Mac, I know this problem....it requires dedication.)

I prefer Mandrake because it is more current, but it has seemed much less
stable.  I just installed Mandrake 8.1 last night to use it as a server.  I
used Mandrake over RH just because I wanted to see what 8.1. was like.

Eirikur